Care of Children and Domestic Violence

Information provided by the Ministry of Justice. Sorting out your own parenting arrangements is usually better for you and your children. This is what most people do, and it will usually be quicker and less stressful for everyone than going to court. Children cope more easily with separation when they know the people who care about them are working together.

Domestic violence can be carried out by anyone you are in a domestic or close relationship with. It could be a partner, ex-partner, carer, friend, flatmate or family member. They don’t have to be living with you. If you’re at risk of domestic violence, you can get police and court orders to help protect you while you get the help you need. If you’re not in a domestic relationship with someone, you can instead apply for a Restraining Order. Information supplied by the Ministry of Justice.

Counselling and Family Services

The Family Services Directory is a searchable online database. It lists information about family support organisations and the services/programmes they offer to support New Zealand families. The purpose of the Family Services Directory is to connect people with providers who can help them to cope with common issues and problems.

Family Court

The Family Court deals with lots of issues, from making orders for children not yet born right through to older people who are in need of care and protection. People who have separated can get help outside of the court to help them agree on how they will care for their children. If they can’t agree, they can apply to the Family Court to resolve things. Information supplied by the Ministry of Justice.

Skylight Counselling

Skylight is a national not-for-profit trust that enables children, young people, their families/whānau, and friends to navigate through times of trauma, loss, and grief by building resilience. Counselling for children, young people, family/whānau and individuals who are experiencing grief, loss and trauma no matter the cause. The family-centred approach means that when working with children, parents/caregivers and family members are included in the counselling process, as appropriate. Skylight offers counselling services in  Auckland, Christchurch, Hamilton, Kapiti, Lower Hutt, New Plymouth, Porirua, Wellington and Whangarei.

Member Family Law Section

The Family Law Section represents the interests of approximately 1000 New Zealand family law practitioners. It has primary responsibility on behalf of the Law Society in all areas of family law and has a strong and active voice in relation to such issues as Family Courts management, the independence of the Family Court, Lawyer for Child rates, legal aid rates, and education.